Tuesday, April 24, 2007

virtual ticking-off

i've been bad lately. i've been letting myself get all distracted by the interwebs. i now have a facebook account (in addition to a myspace page, orkut and linkedin profile). i have also discovered google reader, and have a list of things on there i check every day. one of those things is miss snark, the literary agent's blog (linked form the sidebar over there). not long ago, i read an entry which i had a physical reaction to. excerpt follows -

Your job is to write.
Unplug the damn internet and get to work.
If you need to buy another computer that doesn't actually hook up to the net, do it.
Blogging is not writing.
Looking at MySpace is not writing.
Friending on MySpace is not writing.
Checking site meter stats to see if anyone from NYC is reading your blog is not writing.
There's a lot to be said for sitting down with your ownself and writing.
Nothing, literally NOTHING replaces that. Focus. You're wasting time.

i will try and curb my online wanderings, or at least restrict them to certain times of the day. i'm sorry, miss snark. more ribe tuchus from now on, i promise.

3 comments:

The Bizza said...

Damn. Suddenly, I feel very very small. Perhaps I should start writing again too.

Adam said...

yeah, i resolved a while ago to change the front page of my website from a blog to a news page.

i made the distinction because it meant that i was only allowed to put something on my website if I'd done the hard yards off the website and achieved something with my actual writing.

the distinction is blurring a little, now, like this kind of thing always does, but it was a good resolution and it helped me refocus.

rads said...

GOSH, that's exactly what I need to do. Well, more like I nedeed that a few months ago, now I think am a tad better, but then again, am tweeting too much.

sorry, rambled away there :)