Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2010 updates

this year is shaping up quite nicely so far. this month particularly - good news, good vibes! first off, i'll give you an update on my first author talk.

my manager, also a novellist, came with me to the school. i had never been to that campus, though a cousin of mine went to school there. it's quite lovely, and immediately i had the urge to wander... however, we were delivered to the library office in preparation for the talk. i was feeling fine, a little nervy. i looked through a stack of old school magazines to find my cousin. i chatted to the library staff. all was fine... then the bell rang.

girls everywhere. they looked so cool and confident, and some of them were heading to the library to come listen to me. when the time came for me to start, there was a good crowd of expectant faces, and as i stood to face them, the nerves kicked in good and proper - which is good, 'cause they're a great driving force.

i loosened up as i introduced myself to them, and soon had them laughing. i read them some excerpts from this blog. then i asked if they had any questions - and they did! lots of very intelligent, well-put and honest questions. then i read them some of my work. and it was over! a couple of girls hung around afterward and smiled at me as i chatted to the librarian. the whole thing was a massive adrenaline rush, and i got some very positive feedback, and a tiny spoon with the school's crest on it, to take home with me.

they must have liked me because i have been invited back to address a different group of girls in may this year, and yes, i am absolutely looking forward to it!

also in recent news, i have started to write a column in a new magazine that will be launched next month. it is based in and on melbourne's western suburbs. i'll give you more info on where you can get this magazine soon.

novel 2 is coming back - i decided to scrap what i had and start from scratch again, and that decision is (slowly but surely) paying off... but that's about as much as i will say on that front right now.

so, there you have it. if you're after more regular (and more succinct!) updates from me, you can always follow me on twitter.

2 comments:

Lilli boo said...

That's bloody excellent to read you are being appreciated, inspired and enjoying your creative journey Slinks...looking forward to more updates and catching up ;-)

Craig D. Ising Esq said...

Awesome stuff, Shlinky.

Now, if you could only update this blog more...

;)

xxx