Friday, October 21, 2011

On a year that's flown by...

I know. I know it's been a while since I've written anything here... apologies. I guess that's what happens when your life shifts a little. Not that I'm making excuses, but I have been a wee bit busier than usual this year. Going back to full-time work to help support a partner who's gone back to full time study will do that for you.

It's been interesting having the shoe on the other foot. Since the beginning of (our) time - tipping fifteen years now - I have always been the one off chasing shiny new things. First it was the arts degree that took me ten years to finish, which led to the writing caper, then the stand-up caper, then on to the postgrad study. And all the while my engine-house husband kept pumping away quietly in the background, sharing the steam he generated with me so I could keep runing around and letting mine off.

Then was the time of world travel, followed by the time of settling down, of the signing the papers for the pile of bricks, of finally feeling like grownups, and then facing up to grownup bumps in the road. Of happiness and devastation and joy and fun, of yelling and listening and eventually (and surprisingly) getting over it.

Now we're coming to the end of the first year where he is the one doing the dream-chasing. And how proud I am of him. Two more years of this ahead of us, and I can see it already. At the end of it he'll have a uniform and a stethoscope and will be out there with lights and sirens, saving lives. And I will be as I am now - baking, writing, proud.

Progress on the writing since Varuna has been slow, but I've been back at it in recent weeks.

I have a plan for a second YA novel ready to go once I finish this one.

I have been crocheting like a demon.

I have a letter in the upcoming Women of Letters anthology.

We've added asparagus to our courtyard veggie patch, and a pear tree.

I'm turning 38 in two weeks.

I'm really thankful xox

No comments: